You are here
Sports Safety for Big Kids
This is the age when organized and recreational sports can become a big part of a child’s life. To help your child get the most out of sports follow these tips and guidelines.
Top Safety Tips
- Before playing organized sports, make sure your child receives a pre-participation physical exam, or PPE, performed by a doctor, or a nurse practitioner or qualified clinician under the supervision of a physician. Whomever performs the exam, the same practices should be followed including the need for a medical history.
- Encourage children to drink water before, during and after athletic activities or play.
- Adults should be present at all times to ensure a safe playing environment and the enforcement of safety rules. This is particularly important for younger kids.
- An off-season is important. It is recommended that kids get 10 consecutive weeks of rest from any one sport every year.
- Make sure your coach is trained in first aid and CPR, and understands how to prevent, recognize and/or respond to concussions and overuse injuries.