You are here
This is the age when organized and recreational sports can become a big part of a child’s life. To help your child get the most out of sports follow these tips and guidelines.
Top Safety Tips
- For organized sports, make sure your child has a pre-participation physical exam, or PPE, by the family doctor, before playing. This can help rule out any potential medical conditions that may place your athlete at risk.
- Encourage children to drink water before, during and after athletic activities or play.
- Adults should be present at all times to ensure a safe playing environment and the enforcement of safety rules. This is particularly important for younger kids.
- An off-season is important. It is recommended that kids get 10 consecutive weeks of rest from any one sport every year.
- Make sure your coach is trained in first aid and CPR, and understands how to prevent, recognize and/or respond to concussions and overuse injuries.