You are here
TV and Furniture Tip-Over Prevention Tips
- Assess the stability of the TVs in your home.
- Mount flat screen TVs to the wall to reduce the risk of TVs toppling off stands. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure you protect your wall and have a secure fit.
- If you have a large, heavy, old-style cathode ray tube (CRT) TV place it on a low, stable piece of furniture.
Recycle Old TVs
- If you no longer use your CRT TV, consider recycling it. To find a location to safely and easily recycle unwanted TVs, go to www.GreenerGadgets.org. Here are some step-by-step tips to help.
- Use brackets, braces or wall straps to secure unstable or top-heavy furniture to the wall.
- Install stops on dresser drawers to prevent them from being pulled all the way out. Multiple open drawers can cause the weight to shift, making it easier for a dresser to fall.
Rearrange Household Items
- Keep heavier items on lower shelves or in lower drawers.
- Avoid placing remote controls, food, toys or other items in places where kids might be tempted to climb up or reach for them.